Mrs C Green (Leader of Learning)
Mrs N Corner
Mrs A McKeown
Miss J McKibbin
Mr P O’Halloran
Mr A Black
Miss J Berry
Mr N McIlhatton
Ms C Ryder
Miss N Wellington
Ms A Hanna
Mrs J Smyth
English is taught to all pupils at KS3.
We strive to make English an enjoyable and rich part of the curriculum through:
- Active lessons which engage all students including visiting writers, speakers and poets.
- Allowing students to influence the choice of texts for study
- Enabling students to raise their literacy standards: reading partnerships, literacy workshops
- Enabling them to develop their confidence in all areas of English: public speaking competitions, writing competitions.
Enriching all students of every ability with a range of classic and modern literature please click here: English LanguageGCSE English and English Literature: At GCSE we deliver the CCEA specification. For specifications
- This Specification has 4 units
- Unit 1: Writing for Purpose and Audience and Reading to Access Non-fiction and Media Texts- 30% External written examination 1 hour 45 mins. Students complete five tasks.
- Unit 2: Speaking and Listening Controlled assessment – 20% Teachers mark the tasks, and CCEA moderate the results.
- Unit 3: Studying Spoken and Written Language Controlled assessment 20%
- Unit 4: Personal or Creative Writing and Reading Literary and Non-fiction Texts -30%
- External written examination 1 hour 45 mins Students complete four tasks.
- The specification has three units:
- Unit 1: The Study of Prose – 30% External exam 1 hour 45 mins.
- Students answer two questions, one from Section A and the set question in Section B.
- Unit 2: The Study of Drama and Poetry- 50% External exam 2 hours.
- Students answer two questions, one from Section A and one from Section B.
- Unit 3: The Study of Shakespeare- 20% Controlled assessment 2 hours.
- Students complete one task: an extended writing question based on a theme.