Ms L Campbell (Leader of Learning)
Ms T McCracken
Leisure, Travel and Tourism is one of the fastest growing industries in the world and is therefore a relevant vocational subject set that we offer at Key Stage 4 and Post-16. Students have the opportunity to gain insights into current developments in the industry, including technological developments such as social media and the internet, sustainability and the positive and negative social, economic and environmental effects of leisure, travel and tourism development.
At Key Stage 4 we offer CCEA GCSE Leisure, Travel and Tourism. Students study three units across two years:
- Unit 1: Understanding the Leisure, Travel and Tourism Industry (this external exam module, worth 40% of the final GCSE grade, is offered in both Year 11 and 12)
- Unit 2: Promoting and Sustaining the Leisure, Travel and Tourism Industry (this external, exam worth 40% of the final GCSE grade, is offered in Year 12 only)
- Unit 3: Working in the Leisure, Travel and Tourism Industry (coursework unit worth 20% of the final GCSE grade)
In 2021, 78% of our students studying GCSE Leisure, Travel and Tourism achieved grades A*-C, providing an excellent foundation for further study at Post-16 or progression to employment.
In Sixth Form we offer BTEC Level 3 Nationals. The BTEC National Extended Certificate, is equivalent to 1 A-Level and is offered alongside two other A-Level options. Students will complete the BTEC National Certificate (equivalent to 1 AS-level) in Year 13 and can choose to progress to the Extended Certificate programme in Year 14 to achieve their full A-level equivalent.
Units studied within these qualifications are:
- Unit 1: The World of Travel and Tourism (external exam – Year 13)
- Unit 2: Global Destinations (external exam – Year 14)
- Unit 3: The Principles of Marketing in Travel and Tourism (coursework – Year 13)
- Unit 9: Visitor Attractions (coursework – Year 14)
In 2021, we maintained our record of 100% pass rate at Level 3. 75% of students achieved a Merit – Distinction * grade in their BTEC L3 National Certificate and 93% achieved a Merit – Distinction * grade in their BTEC L3 National Extended Certificate.
High numbers of our students progress to further education, specialising in areas such as Aviation Operations. Other progress to higher education, studying for degrees in International Tourism Management, for example. From our Class of 2021, we have three students studying at Ulster University on the International Travel and Tourism Management BSc (Hons) course and one at Belfast Met studying for a foundation degree in International Travel and Tourism Management. Another student from the Class of 2021 chose to begin a career in the hotel industry securing employment in Belfast’s newest 5 star hotel – the Grand Central.
We are exceptionally proud of our students and enjoy sharing their continued successes in the world of Travel and Tourism. Past student, Demi-Lee Orr is not only a graduate of Ulster University, achieving a 2:1 in her BSc (Hons) in International Travel and Tourism Management, she was also shortlisted as a finalist in the Student Management Potential category in the 24th Institute of Hospitality Awards for Professionalism and we would like to wish Demi-Lee every success in her future career.