Ms L Campbell (Teacher in Charge)
Mrs C Chisim
Mrs J Clarke
Mrs P Leitch
Leisure and Tourism is a vocational subject set offered at Key Stage 4 and Post-16. It offers a practical, hands-on approach suitable for pupils who wish to progress to further and higher education or into employment within the Leisure and Tourism industry.
At Key Stage 4 we offer CCEA GCSE Leisure and Tourism. Pupils study four units across two years:
- Introduction to Leisure and Tourism (External exam)
- Customer Service in the Leisure and Tourism Industry
- Marketing in the Leisure and Tourism Industry
- Leisure and Tourism Destinations
This qualification is a good foundation for further study in Sixth Form.
In Sixth Form we offer BTEC Level 3 Nationals. The BTEC National Subsidiary Diploma, which is equivalent to 1 A-Level, is offered alongside two other A-Level options.
Units studied within these qualifications are:
- Investigating the Travel and Tourism Sector
- The Business of Travel and Tourism
- TheUK as a Destination
- Customer Service in Travel and Tourism
- Preparing for Employment in Travel and Tourism
- Long-Haul Travel Destinations or European Tourist Destinations
All BTEC qualifications are portfolio-based and assignments are set within realistic industry scenarios.
Many of our pupils progress into further education, specialising in areas such as Aviation Operations. Other progress to higher education, studying for degrees in International Tourism Management, for example. Employment after Sixth Form is an increasingly popular option and past pupils currently work for well-known businesses such as Thomas Cook, Thompson, Emirates, Flybe, Easyjet, Stena Line and Servis Air.
From September 2017 we will be offering two new qualifications. CCEA GCSE Leisure, Travel and Tourism will replace the current GCSE course and our Post-16 course will become a BTEC National Extended Certificate which is still the equivalent of 1 A-Level.